I feel like I have been pregnant for two years straight. I know it’s not quite like that, but I have been pregnant for 16 of the past 28 months. That has to count for something.
But I have been surprised at how different this pregnancy has been than the first. I knew that pregnancies differed from person to person, but I didn’t realize they could differ so much for the same person.
- Nauseous the entire first trimester. I only threw up once, but I felt perpetually hung over. Not a good feeling – at all.
- Tremendous hip pain starting in the second trimester. I literally felt like my hip joints were falling out of place. I even ended up in the hospital one time because of it – on Superbowl Sunday. My husband will never let me live that down.
- Linea negra. I had it.
- Because of my hip pain, I had very restricted activity.
- I obsessed over every twinge – what was that? Is everything okay?
- I worried about “keeping all the rules.” I remember calling my mom one day almost in tears because I had forgotten to take my prenatal vitamin the night before. She assured me it would be fine. Of course it was.
- I had some morning sickness, but nothing like the first time around. I honestly felt pretty symptom-less for quite a while – long enough for my OB/GYN to do an ultrasound to make sure I was really pregnant!
- I’ve experienced some hip tightness – and some days are better than others – but nothing like before. I really think that my daily walks with the Mini Athlete have made a HUGE difference. It feels like it gets them back into alignment.
- No linea negra. Go figure.
- I’m staying pretty active. Heck, even chasing the Mini Athlete around is more activity than I could endure during my first pregnancy!
- I have been totally laid back. Twinge? What twinge? (This also could be attributed to the bajillion major life changes that have stolen my attention over the past few months…)
- So much for the “rules”. Yes, I’m taking my prenatal vitamins. But I’m also not freaking out over a cup of coffee every now and then, or a deli sandwich. It’s okay. I promise.
Something else different this time around?
I haven’t registered for any gifts.
Am I supposed to? A few people have asked me if I’m registered anywhere. We have most of the things, but there are a few things that would be nice to have as gifts. But I feel strange registering the second time around – especially so close to when I registered the first time.
Hmm. And that reminds me – I haven’t registered at the hospital yet either. Or taken a tour (since it will be a new-to-us hospital.) Oops. Chalk that up to the whole “totally laid back” thing.
If you’ve had more than one pregnancy, were they different? How?
If not, what do you hope will be different the second time around?